Roanoke Boating Accident Lawyer
Experienced Virginia attorney who puts your best interests first
You may enjoy spending your day boating on Smith Mountain Lake near Rocky Mount or in one of the other bodies of water in and around Virginia. But a leisurely day on the water can turn into a tragedy in a heartbeat. Boating accidents happen fast, but the consequences can last a lifetime. Whether you're boating in Carvins Cove near Roanoke or on the Atlantic off of Virginia Beach, all it takes is one reckless boater to cause a serious boating accident in Virginia.
Beyond property damage, boating accidents cost injury victims millions of dollars in medical bills, lost income, lost future earnings, physical therapy as well as the pain and suffering caused by these accidents. A single accident can change a victim's life forever.
The top most common types of boating accidents include collisions between vessels, flooding or swamping, falling overboard, capsizing and accidents involving water skiers.
Why should I hire Davis, Davis, Davis & Davis, PC, to handle my case?
Don't try to tackle your boating accident on your own. Contact Davis, Davis, Davis & Davis, PC. Serving Roanoke and other communities throughout Virginia since 1891, our firm has well-earned reputation for helping personal injury victims get the money they rightfully deserve.
Experience matters when it comes to boating accidents. You want someone who understands the various state and federal laws and how they apply specifically to your boating accident. There's no room for error when it comes to your case.
Attorney William P. Davis has been practicing law in Virginia since 1999 and has worked on many accident cases. Fellow lawyers George "Tripp" Hunt and David B. Hart have spent decades working on similar cases throughout the state. There's no substitute for working on real cases.
We take a different approach. Contact us. Discover what we can do for you.
In case after case, we consistently obtain sizable verdicts and settlements for accident victims.
DISCLAIMER: The settlements and verdicts listed here represent a sampling of the case results pursued and won by Davis, Davis, Davis & Davis, PC. Please note that every case is different and these verdicts and settlements, while accurate, do not represent what we may obtain for you in your case. Nor does it mean that we win all of our cases - we don't.
Some of our recent larger case results include a $1.25 million verdict and $450,000 settlement for injury victims. We're proud of these results because we're honored to help people.
Every accident is unique - just like you. That's why we take the time to learn about your specific case. We listen. Then we work with you and develop a legal strategy that suits your needs. That's the secret to our success. That's why we routinely win accident cases.
Put your trust in a law firm that puts your needs first. Contact us. Call (866) 434-1581 and schedule a free case evaluation. A delay could affect your ability to recover compensation. Contact Davis, Davis, Davis & Davis, PC, as soon as possible.
- What are common causes of boating accidents?
- What are common boating accident injuries?
- What should I do if I'm involved in a boating accident?
- Should I accept an offer from an insurance company for my accident?
- Can I negotiate for more money from an insurance company?
- Should I file a boating accident lawsuit?
- Why should I hire Roanoke boating accident law firm Davis, Davis, Davis & Davis, PC?
Boating accidents happen for many reasons. Some of the most common causes we regularly encounter at our firm include:
- Distracted boaters - Operator inattention (texting while driving, not looking ahead while driving, etc.) has become the leading cause of boating accidents nationwide.
- Drunk or drugged boaters - Drinking or drug use remains one of the leading causes of boating accidents. Because boating is a common recreational activity, drinking and drug use are unfortunately commonly combined with piloting a boat.
- Speeding - Many boaters might not even realize speed limits exist on lakes, ponds and rivers. These speed limits exist since many boating accidents often happen due to drivers going far in excess of the speed limit.
- Reckless driving - Driving erratically, weaving in between boats and passing on the wrong side are just some examples of reckless driving.
- Operator inexperience - New boaters should enroll in a safety course before they take to the water. Unfortunately, many boaters lack the experience and knowledge necessary to operate safely and cause accidents.
Whatever the cause of your accident, we can investigate and help you get the money you rightfully deserve for your crash.
<Return to Top>
What are common boating accident injuries?
One of the most common boating accident injuries is drowning. In 2013, a total of 398 people drowned in boating accidents nationwide. Other common injuries include:
- Broken bones
- Head injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
<Return to Top>
What should I do if I'm involved in a boating accident?
We strongly urge you to take the following steps if you've involved in a boating accident caused by another boat:
- Contact the police - Either the local police of the U.S. Coast Guard will likely investigate your accident. Call 911 and ask them to send someone to investigate your crash.
- Seek immediate medical attention - Even if you feel fine, don't assume that you're OK if you were involved in an accident. Some injuries are not immediately apparent.
- Gather evidence - The more evidence you have from your accident, the better off you will be if you pursue a boating accident personal injury claim. We strong suggest you collect the following information:
- Other boat driver's name, address and phone number
- Witness statements (also get their names, addresses and phone numbers)
- Photographs of accident
- Write down the following information:
- Exact time of accident
- Exact location of accident
- Weather conditions
- Lighting conditions
- Contact us - We have years of experience handling complicated boating accidents throughout Virginia. Put your trust in us. Contact us today.
<Return to Top>
Should I accept an offer from an insurance company for my accident?
If you get an offer, it's wise to consult with an attorney before making a decision. Don't agree to anything right away after your boating accident. Most insurance companies know that injury victims want to settle their cases as soon as possible - before the full extent of their accident is known. Don't rush to settle your case. Make sure you know the full financial impact of your accident. Contact us. We can discuss the details of your offer and help you decide if you should accept it.
<Return to Top>
Can I negotiate for more money from an insurance company?
Yes. Just because an insurance company made you an offer does not mean you have to accept it. You have the right to negotiate for more money. We know how to negotiate with insurance companies and get injury victims the money they rightfully deserve.
<Return to Top>
Should I file a boating accident lawsuit?
While most cases end in settlement, we prepare every case is if it were going to trial. You have many legal options available to you after your accident. That's why it's important to contact us as soon as possible. We can meet with you and help you decide if you should file a boating accident lawsuit in Roanoke or wherever your accident took place.
<Return to Top>
Why should I hire Roanoke boating accident law firm Davis, Davis, Davis & Davis, PC?
Boating accidents can be extremely difficult. An insurance company may deny any wrongdoing by the person who caused your injuries. You may even be blamed for causing your injuries when you did nothing wrong. Don't try to win a battle of your word versus theirs. Contact us. We can set the record straight and fight for the compensation you need to cover the cost of your accident.
If you are represented by our firm, we will reach out to experts and investigators necessary to build a compelling case designed to get the results you need. We will bring a comprehensive approach to your case, which includes the following:
- Carefully reviewing your accident report
- Interviewing witnesses if necessary
- Visiting the scene of the accident if necessary
- Negotiating with insurance companies on your behalf
- Filing a lawsuit if necessary
- Taking other legal action if necessary
We will not rest until justice is served. Put your trust in us. Contact Davis, Davis, Davis & Davis, PC and schedule an appointment today. Call (866) 434-1581.